Tuesday, February 07, 2006

James Blunt is a Whore.

I'm a big fan of James Blunt. Anyone who knows me very well knows this. Half of our office is. All it takes is Stacy K beginning to sing "Goodbye, My Lover" in the way that only she can for all the girls on 5 (okay, not all, but 4 others of us) to join in.

It's very dramatic when we do it. Um, melodramatic. But awesome.

So when JB's music showed up in an episode of Grey's Anatomy, I was excited. Here was my favorite singer getting major play on my favorite show.

I looked forward to his appearance on SNL. I've now seen it twice, live and the repeat. The night it first aired, I was having a holiday party so it wasn't the best atmosphere to really pay attention, but it seemed he was playing to the camera in a very annoying way.

When it aired in a repeat a couple of weeks ago, my suspicion was confirmed. And though he played both of my favorite songs from the album, the way he grinned into the camera the entire time was disconcerting. He seemed to forget there was a live audience in front of him.

He also seemed to forget that these songs are sad, especially "Goodbye, My Lover." Downright heartbreaking. And yet that little smirk into the camera.

I lost a little respect for him.

Then "High" was featured in a Hilton Hotels commercial.

Dropped many more points.

Now, "You're Beautiful" pops up on my favorite XM channel all the time, and though I still like it, the replacement of "f*cking high" for "flying high" seriously annoys me. Because when it first played on XM, it had the uncensored version.

That's not his fault.

But it reminds me of this goofy face he made into the camera when he sang "flying high" on SNL. Like he had a secret joke with everyone watching. Annoying.

Tonight I turn on the TV and watch the last half of Love Monkey (because it's on, not because I think it's good, because I don't) and they're playing James Blunt in the background.

And I think, hmm. Perhaps he's approaching overexposure.

Then who shows up at the end of the episode? James Blunt. Just being James Blunt. (He's very short, by the way.)

Overexposure, reached.

There's something about being slightly undiscovered by the masses - or at least seeming to be undiscovered by the masses - that make artists that much more popular. But when they flock to the masses, when they themselves become the masses, well, they become so much less appealing.

And so, James Blunt, I must say, goodbye, my lover.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

I love the fact that in the "You're beautiful" video he just starts stripping for no reason. Any Person who just can't wait to take off their cloths is allright by me!

2:03 AM  
Blogger pamela said...

Haven't seen that yet.

But, really, he looks like an elf, so I'm not sure I'd want to see him naked.

Unless he's singing to me. Then I'd make an exception.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm torn when I band I like makes an appearance on The OC. It's like a little secret has been revealed to the masses.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home