Saturday, February 04, 2006

I like your shoes.

So I have this policy:

When you think something nice about someone, you tell them. Even if it's someone you aren't particularly a fan of. Even if it's your arch nemesis.

I met my arch nemesis in person a few weeks ago. He had on cute shoes. I didn't want to tell him because, you know, arch nemesis. But I did. Because that's my policy.

About a week ago, we had a client presentation that lasted forever because they did the media, search, and creative presentations all in one sitting. The VP of media - whom I had never seen present - turned out to be an excellent presenter. Not that I didn't think he wouldn't be (he's the VP for a reason), I'd just never thought about it. But I was impressed.

I saw him later in the day and almost didn't say anything, because he certainly doesn't need affirmation from me. But, you know, the policy, so I told him I thought he was an excellent presenter. I figured he'd give me a cursory "thanks" and keep walking.

Instead, he paused, and said, "Thank you. I really appreciate your saying that."

You never know when that compliment you're thinking (that may seem insignificant) might be exactly what the other person needs to hear. Even if it's hard to say it.

My arch nemesis with the cute shoes? Now turns out to be one of my favorite people. So you never know.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, be careful.

Remember that you cant judge a nemesis by his shoes.

Or something.

10:03 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

Well...looks like 2006 isn't as bad at it seems. If you had had your chin "up" you wouldn't have seen his shoes! So being a little down can have it's perks. xx

1:11 AM  
Blogger pamela said...

I've found that no Puma-wearing boy is ever all bad.

And, Carrie - this is why I love you. Always finding an upside. You'll be happy to know I'm smiling much more these days. :) (See?)

11:56 AM  
Blogger pamela said...

Bob, you're such a sweetheart.

How you love me so much and *still* won't leave that - oh, okay, very nice - girlfriend of yours escapes me.

;)

xo

10:05 PM  
Blogger pamela said...

Fair enough, fair enough.

But you know I'm a commitment-phobe. So much easier to commit when there's no chance of reciprocation. :)

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home