Thursday, April 05, 2007

Celiacs Unite

Let night I met some of my people – some fellow celiacs.

I went to a gluten free cooking class at Central Market and had a delicious 4 ½ course meal. (I say 4 ½ because I’m not sure bread and marmalade count as a course.) The head chef was a woman whose husband and 2 of her 3 children have celiac, and they have a completely gluten free household even for herself and the child who doesn’t have it.

The food was awesome (except for the meat – I’ve always hated Salisbury steak. It’s disgusting, in my book) but mostly it was just cool to be in a room with so many other people either have celiac or have kids who have it. People who totally understand feeling crappy while doctors try to figure out what’s wrong with you. People who know what it’s like to go into a restaurant and have to ask a million questions that half the time aren’t understood (or you get called rude names in Spanish), and you end up eating a plain chicken breast while those around you eat hot, cheesy, delectable pizza.

I’m blessed to have friends and family who are extremely understanding and accommodating, but I know it gets annoying for them to have to go to restaurants where I can eat when it isn’t what they want. And, for some reason, it’s starting to get more frustrating for me while I would think it would start getting better.

But I left my cooking class kind of inspired. I bought the chef’s GF cookbook. And, when I got home, I made some gluten free blueberry muffins that were really yummy. It’s an actual possibility that I might even start cooking real food for myself… One step at a time.

Thanks to Elbow Room Boy for the muffin mix & the tip on the GF class. And happy almost birthday.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger braceyourself said...

Your welcome, hope they were good.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home