Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Magnetic Luck, Part IV

So I had a realization on Sunday morning while at church. And, yes, I've waited until today to post it. After three posts on bad luck.

It will take me a minute to get to this realization. But I will.

I was thinking about the previously-mentioned break-in. And how my brother-in-law who, came over, late night, when he had to be at work the next morning, and hugged me and supported me as I cried over not only the loss of my possessions, but also the violation of my home, and stayed with me not only through the police report, but also until the maintenance guy, Jose, showed up to board up my window. Then helped me load up my animals, the things I would need for the next week, and took me to their house to stay, where I would feel (more) safe.

The next day, Valentine's Day, my brother-in-law came home from work with a dozen roses for my sister, a dozen for my niece, and a dozen for me.

At this point, I knew all of four people in Dallas: my sister, my brother-in-law, my niece, and my nephew. This gesture - after such a traumatic experience - meant more than anyone could imagine.

I thought back over some other not so lucky moments in my time in Dallas. I thought of my celiac diagnosis and how my mom made me a delicious gluten-free carrot cake for my birthday. How my sister began to check ingredients to make meals I could come over for. How my friends began to help me communicate my ridiculous dietary restrictions with waiters and new people.

I thought of some horrific nights - like my last birthday - that my friends had gone through with me. And how they helped me pick up the pieces; reminded me that the past was the past; helped me move forward.

Of realizing I have to have surgery in a couple of weeks, coming back to the office, yes, in tears (b/c, sadly, I have become a crier in my older age), going to a meeting, and coming out to find a beautiful care package from Jen & Kellee at my desk.

Of having another bad night, a night I would give anything to erase, and having my friends continue to rally around me. Continue to tell me they love me, when I don't feel remotely deserving.

Of waking up today less than thrilled with this forced holiday, then being surprised throughout the day with lovely & amazing gestures.

So on Sunday morning, as I sat in the high school auditorium where we meet, watching our pastor on a big screen (yes, that's right), I considered the obvious: I may feel I have it more than others, but the fact is, everyone has bad luck. It's part of life. But what makes it bearable are the people around us who love us in spite of bad choices. Who surround us with that love when circumstances are out of our control.

And that has nothing to do with luck.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart. " - Anne Frank

A lovely entry, ms. symphonies.

7:08 AM  
Blogger egyptiansally said...

p,
this is a great post. and great pics on flkr. the neices and nephews are too cute.

love you.

4:27 PM  
Blogger TB said...

hey..is it just me or your latest pst was taken off?

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home