Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Kicking it at the bookstore.

I used to spend a lot of time at the bookstore, but I haven't been in a while. Partly because my attention span has been crazy-short for a while and I couldn't even get through the summary of a book on the back cover much less an actual book, and partly because I've just been doing other things and have forgotten about bookstores (sorry, bookstores).

One of my new goals for my new year is to take better care of myself across the board -- not just my physical and mental well-being, but my soul, as well. I'd like to say that's what took me to the bookstore but actually it was that I needed something else for my father for his birthday tomorrow. Still, as a byproduct, I was reminded of my love for books and the bookstore, and my soul felt a little happier.

I've been drawn to poetry lately which isn't really like me, but maybe that goes hand-in-hand with the short attention span. So tonight I bought a couple of books of poetry (Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology, which I once owned but lost, and a collection of Rumi whom I love but didn't own) and a novel, Sweet and Vicious by David Schickler whose Kissing in ManhattanI loved.

On my didn't-even-know-they-were-out-but-now-must-purchase-as-soon-as-they-come-out-in-paperback list:

On Beauty, Zadie Smith
The Zahir, a Novel of Obsession, Paulo Coehlo
Lord Vishnu's Love Handles, Will Clarke

And I still want to read Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Dan Chaon's You Remind Me of Me. I tried reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and never got through it... So maybe I'll finish that. Maybe.

Anyone read any of these?

On Zadie Smith: If you haven't read her Autograph Man, I recommend it highly. Even more highly than White Teeth.

I'm not anti-Barnes & Noble and Borders, but I'd love to find some cool indie book stores in Dallas like Book Soup in LA and, even better, Miami's Books and Books.

Either way, I'm making a pact with myself to spend more time at the bookstore. It's a good place to just be.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The eponymous Half-Price books is a local company and is considered by some to be the uber-indie bookstore of Dallas. And,uh, well it's all half-price.

Half Price Books, Records, Magazines, Incorporated
5803 E. Northwest Hwy.
Dallas, TX 75231
Phone: 214-360-0833
Fax: 214-379-8010

http://www.halfpricebooks.com

12:02 PM  
Blogger pamela said...

I've heard about HPB a lot, but not been there. I have this vision of it as being a great big soulless, character-less warehouse-y kind of place. Is it?

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Keep Dallas Plastic"

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the northwest hwy one at greenville and northwest hwy? I think that is the main one and it's HUGE. But my favorite (good old [972] richardson roots), is the one on campbell and 75 in the shopping center behind that Cafe Brazil (that is in an old Taco Bueno building). The best part about half price books is that they have multiple locations and each one carries the books that people either leave or sell. So one store can be completely different than the other. Good stuff PCP...

P.S. I love it when people make fun of Texas - 2 of the largest cities in the U.S. (plus little Austin) and yet we're still seen as cowboy hats and spurs. Couldn't possibly be any culture outside of NY or LA...

9:06 AM  
Blogger pamela said...

I know. When I tied my horse up this morning...

Stringer, good to have you back. :)

9:14 AM  
Blogger pamela said...

Oh, btw, Book People in Austin is another one of my all-time favorites. I could spend hours there.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home