Thursday, June 09, 2005

fun with children

The setting:
Dinner last night, with my sister & her family at their house

The players:
Niece, Emma (4)
Nephew, Parker (2)
Sister, JoEllen
Brother-in-law, Lance
Baby nephew, Reed (4 weeks)
Me


Emma to JoEllen re Reed: I’m really glad you had a new baby, Mommy.
JoEllen: That’s sweet, Emma. I’m glad that you’re glad.
Emma to me: Aunt Pammy, someday you’ll have a baby.
Me: Do you think so?
Emma: Uh huh. You’ll get married and you’ll have a baby, someday.
Me: Okay.
Lance: Emma, let’s not talk about this, sweetie.
Emma: Why not?
Lance: Because it makes Aunt Pammy sad.
Emma: Why?
Lance: Because… (trying to figure out what to say) Because Aunt Pammy loves you so much and she wishes she could have a little girl just like you.
Me: (to Lance) Good answer.
Emma looks to me for confirmation. I nod that he’s right.
Emma: When you have a baby, will you name her Emma?
Me: No, that’s your name.
JoEllen: Aunt Pammy would have named her little girl Bella.
Me: Would have?
Lance: (laughing) Yeah, let’s not use the past tense.
JoEllen: (defensive) No, I meant, before there was an Emma and Ella [my other niece], she would have named her daughter Bella. Emma, Ella, and Bella?
Me: I still will name her Bella. (clarifying for Emma) It will actually be Arabella.
Emma: That’s a pretty name.
A pause.
Emma: You’ll have a baby, Aunt Pammy.
Me: I might not.
Emma: Yes, you will. It’s just going to be a long time.
Parker: (picking up the conversation) Long time baby, Aunt Pammy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you're going to need some practice and I know just the man for the job...

(you can watch TV if you get bored, okay?)

11:01 PM  
Blogger pamela said...

I'll just say this: I admire your persistence. ;)

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home