Tuesday, April 24, 2007

la-la land

Lately I’ve been missing my life in LA. Not all of it. I’d erase the majority of the last year and a half – but not all of that, either, because even in the midst of some pretty successful self-destruction there were good moments.

I miss my friends there, even the ones who don’t live there anymore. I miss the weather. The way it smells in the morning. Lavenderish. Rainish. I miss being able to lie on the beach, listening to the waves crash, all while seeing the mountains in the distance. Even the day Kym convinced me we’d get super tan if we slathered ourselves in dark beer. (We smelled really delicious by the end of the day.) I miss my boxing gym that isn’t there anymore. Or at least not in the same place.

Most of all, I miss working in television. There’s nothing like it. Even when you work 16+ hour days for days on end, there’s an excitement to it. A camaraderie. And tons of good food. ☺

In fact, there seems to be something about LA in general that breeds camaraderie. A we’re-all-in-this-together kind of thing. An anything-could-happen kind of thing. Great success. Earthquakes. Who knows?

Of course there are plenty of things I don’t miss. The traffic. The smog. Having to buy a refrigerator to go with your apartment. Moving your car from one side of the street to the next every other day.

But even those things are easily erased with daily trips to the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (vastly superior to Starbucks, and this from a Starbucks addict).

It’s like the opening from Pretty Woman – Everybody’s got a dream.

Here’s mine: I’m back in LA getting mani/pedis and going shopping with Carrie. Having sushi at Sushi Roku with Tania. Meeting the Good Jeff for breakfast. Talking with Anita over a long lunch in Beverly Hills. Going to the Rose Bowl flea market with Anthony. Driving fast around the curvy part of Sunset Blvd. Writing for television. And drinking 16-ounce Iced Blended Vanillas. Every single day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Evan said...

oh and P.S. Stealing shirts from friends you dont miss clearly!!! hmmm????...lol hugs

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home