Thursday, April 06, 2006

where everybody knows your name

I like being a regular.

I like that when I go into Chipotle in my building, they know they need to change their gloves before they make my food to avoid flour contamination.

I like that when I walk into two different Starbucks, they know my name and my order without my having to say anything. And I have a complicated order (Venti non-fat, no-foam, 140 degree vanilla latte. Yeah. Really.).

It's nice to be a regular. There's something comforting about it. Welcoming.

But sometimes I don't want to be. And sometimes the familiarity becomes a little too, well, familiar.

Sometimes I don't want to be a regular because I actually want to order something else, but they've already started making my usual. And I don't want to hurt their feelings by saying I want something else. (Yes, I do know that that's ridiculous. I am an overly sensitive person who is overly sensitive for others as well.)

But then there's the level of familiarity.

I go to the pharmacy by work with some frequency because I am a super unhealthy person. The pharmacist there knows me by name. He does me favors like give me a dose of whatever it is before it's filled if it's going to take a while. He even gives me a cup of water to take it.

I am a regular at the pharmacy.

He's a sweet guy - kind of grandfatherly - which is nice given how much he knows about me just from filling my prescriptions.

Last week when I went in to fill a prescription, I said, "I bet I'm your least healthy customer." And he said, "No, but you are my prettiest customer."

Okay, kind of sweet.

So I go back the next day - yes, the next day - and he asks how I am. It was about a million degrees outside, so I said, "I'm really hot," and he said, "Well, that's not always a bad thing, now, is it?" with, you know, that look on his face. He got my drugs then said, "I always like it when you come in."

And now I'm a little uncomfortable, so I sign the privacy thing and leave.

This past week, I got sick for the millionth time this year. One of my many doctors was kind enough to call in some anti-nausea medication for me. I went to fill it. He took one look at my greenish pale face and handed me over my pre-dose. He told me when to come back, then said, "I'll look forward to seeing you again."

I went to work. And a couple of hours later, I left again.

I wanted the rest of those anti-nausea pills. But a) I wanted to take as few steps as possible and the drugstore is past the parking lot, and b) I didn't feel like seeing the pharmacist again.

I called in a refill for something else the next day.

I didn't want to pick it up. My drugs were just sitting there in their little bin with the pharmacist waiting for me to come in. I finally went at the end of the day yesterday because I had no other choice. They're closed on the weekends and it's downtown.

As he's getting my prescriptions, I commented on how nice it was outside, and he said, "Yeah, I've been watching out the little portal window. It looks beautiful."
He hands me my prescriptions then says, again, "I always like it when you come in." I say, "Thanks. That's nice." I sign the privacy thing. I swipe my card; sign the electronic panel. As I'm about to leave, he says, "You always brighten my day when you come in."

I said, "Thanks. That's nice," again, and "Have a good weekend," and left.

I walked outside and told my friend who was waiting for me how the pharmacist creeped me out. But then I started thinking about it. He said some things that made me uncomfortable. But, really, how bad can it be to brighten someone's day? He stands behind that counter all day, every day, dealing with people, with insurance, with doctors, and yet I've never seen him without a smile on his face.

There are people in my life who brighten my days. It doesn't generally occur to me to tell them. I should.

I am a regular at Chipotle. I am a regular at Starbucks. And I am a regular at the pharmacy.

I like being a regular.

Most of the time.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beware. Sometimes familiarity breeds contempt. Other times, it breeds stalkers.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Kym and Michael said...

We live above a pharmacy (or apotheke as they called here) and we love them. Although, we don't have creepy old men working there, we have very nice women. Actually, I was in there yesterday with a splitting headache and she also gave me water to take my pill, which I thought was the nicest gesture I have ever recieved. I wanted to hug her.

Your pharmacist is a perv. I'm telling you that your gut is right and he is a dirty old man. You don't brighten his day you do something else for him--there is a reason he is always smiling. Find a new drug store.

I totally agree with the being a regular thing, but I hate it when I want something different and they are disappointed. I also feel bad. It's so weird but sometimes I will avoid places where they know me. Ok, done with my very long comment now. Miss you by the way!

1:21 PM  
Blogger pamela said...

Yeah, you're probably right. :)

And I miss you too. "There You Go" (Pink) came on the radio today - flashbacks to Johnny Lopes...

4:11 PM  
Blogger lemmingade said...

next time he says that it always brightens his day to see you try telling him, "it always depresses the shit out of me to see you."

i bet that'll stop that cheery bullshit.

or, you could mention how strict enforcement of anti-stalking laws makes you feel all sunny inside.

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why to be regular? In some things yes but most of the time noooo. Ever want to be spontaneuos? Or you wanna be that same gray mass of people? I never know what I will eat when I go (example) to restraunt. It would be too boring. Of course in some things, like praying every day. Be one day irresponsible, spontaneuos, flirting? yourself (smiling)

3:51 AM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

This was a riot. :-)

Sue me, I use emoticons too.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

p.s. I also like being a regular. I'm trying to get them to name a dish after me at the Dream Cafe but it ain't workin'. ;-)

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it Mark? He does the same thing to me! I thought I was special...oh well.

10:29 PM  
Blogger pamela said...

YES! It is Mark! Who knew he swung both ways... ;) I have since transferred all of my prescriptions elsewhere.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get a new pharmacist.

Oh - you did.

You are beautiful though I will only tell you once - have a nice life.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home