Wednesday, April 13, 2005

The Awesome Guy

I haven't been able to go to My Office lately (aka Starbucks on Beltline) because I've been going to a Real Office. This doesn't, however, mean that I've not been going to Starbucks in general. Oh, no. I am firmly entrenched in the nasty grip of Starbucks addiction. (I think it's the crack they mix in with the coffee. It has nothing to do with my complete lack of willpower for almost all things tempting.) Today I had every plan to get to the Real Office at a decent hour, meaning something close to the 8:30 when everyone else comes in. Now, I know myself well enough to know that arriving somewhere at 8:30 a.m. is a virtual impossibility for me, so I decided to shoot for leaving my house at that time. Seemed like a safe goal. (If anyone has tips for getting up in the morning, I eagerly await them. Unless you're naturally a morning person. In that case, I have two words for you. Yeah, you know.)

So. I set two alarms and had a wake-up call, yet, of course, I still overslept. Even so, I made it out the door at 8:42. I was crunchy because a) I'm always crunchy in the morning, b) I've been crunchy in general for several days and had not shaken it, and c) I was leaving later than planned.

This should, perhaps, have prevented me from going by My Office, but it did not. See above re: addiction. Also, I miss My Starbucks. I miss my office-mates there: the sweet older guy who was uncomfortable as the guy who orders some pink lemonade concoction everyday made small talk about where he planned to pick up boys later that night; the two businessmen who so blatantly eavesdrop on my phone conversations so as to comment on them when I get off the phone (and on subsequent visits, as in, "Hey, whatever happened with...?"); my T-Mobile hotspot... I do not, however, miss the Creepy Guy who insists I'm in his chair every time he comes in -- regardless of what chair I'm in. But that's a different story. Mostly, I miss The Awesome Guy (more to come). On my way to My Starbucks, I remembered the resolution I made as I was going to bed last night: I decided to try that thing people always say works -- I was going to choose to be in a good mood today. (I always think it's total crap when people say that, by the way.)

On my way to Starbucks, I remember my resolve, and I choose to be in a good mood. I go so far as to say out loud a ridiculous morning phrase from a motivational speaker in Vegas. I'll spare you. But it did make me laugh out loud (at myself, but, whatever).

When I walk in and see that The Awesome Guy is working, I feel like the universe is in alignment with me on this good mood business. Let me tell you about The Awesome Guy. He is not awesome because he's adorable -- though he is that. He's not awesome because he gives me my coffee fix -- though he does do that. The Awesome Guy is awesome because every time you say, "How are you?" the Awesome Guy smiles and says, "I'm awesome." And that makes me smile every single time. How awesome is that? There are days when The Awesome Guy just says, "Okay" or "Good" or whatever and I feel sad to know he isn't feeling awesome because I want The Awesome Guy to always feel awesome. How perfect that today, on the day I'm choosing to be in a good mood, The Awesome Guy is awesome?

I left Starbucks and pulled onto the tollway to find it at a dead stop. Normally, I would take this opportunity to bounce my leg up and down, clench my teeth, and forget all about breathing, because, dammit, I'm trying to get to work on pseudo-time and the world is not allowing me. Today, I was simply psyched to have more time to sing on the way to work. Yes, I'm serious.

Here's the thing about this choosing your mood business: I've been in a good mood 99% of today (I had to take a point off for getting out of bed). I see that extra 1% in my very near future.

Here's one last note: If you aren't actively using the word "awesome" in your vocabulary, I highly recommend it. Thanks, Awesome Guy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfectly awesome. You just increased my day by several percentage points:)Now I'm going for a glass of wine:)

8:34 PM  
Blogger egyptiansally said...

this made my day too! you should thank mr. awesome, pam. tell him how happy he's made people across the globe :)

8:49 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

"If you're AWESOME and you know it...CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home