Monday, July 04, 2005

7.04.05

One of my favorite things:

On the back of a jetski, going so fast that all I can hear is the sound of the engine, the crash of the waves, and the rush of the wind filling my ears. Even whatever song was stuck in my head is lost in the sounds of the lake.

I did that a few times this weekend. Here's my view from on the SeaDoo, facing into the sun:

Like diamonds floating on the water...


I would normally say that was the highlight of my time at the lake (okay, at least a highlight), but this trip to the lakehouse, my highlight would have to be the time I got to spend with my brother and his daughter, Ella. A couple of pictures to see just how unbelievably adorable she is:

My brother & Ella on the dock

Ella watches the fireworks

Ella and me on the dock

I don't usually get to spend much time with them, even though they live in Austin. Ironically, the same reasons I don't normally get to be with them are the same reasons I was able to this weekend. Until this weekend, I'm not sure my niece had any clue who I was, or that I was even someone she should know. But when I put her to bed Saturday night, she lay in my arms and looked up at me, smiling, as I sang to her. And when she left today, she reached out for me and clung to my neck, crying, not wanting to leave. That broke my heart, but in that really good way that I think only children can. I already miss her.

I hope being able to spend time with Ella & know her as she continues to grow up become a constant, but I also worry that the only way that will happen means heartache for my brother. So what I'll really wish is that his happiness and my seeing him & Ella will be able to coexist.

Two other good things:
1) I made the 3 1/2 hour trip back to Dallas in 2 hours, 45 minutes -- and didn't get a ticket.
2) I'm sitting on my front porch with fabulous fireworks going off on either side of me while I eat my infamous lifesavers & drink a glass of the wine mysteriously left on my porch a few weeks ago.

A third:
Simultaneous fireworks finales.

In life, we should have fireworks way more often.

(A final note: As I was typing the above, the mysterious wine-giver revealed himself. Very strange...)

All in all, an excellent 4th of July.

3 Comments:

Blogger egyptiansally said...

Happy 4th, Pamela-la. I'm jealous of your fireworks :) And your tan!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Al Sharief said...

Happy 4th, stay safe, I take it that you enjoyed the speed...
Loved your "Floating (forever)Diamonds on the water" Great Shot..

5:19 PM  
Blogger pamela said...

thanks!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home